Monday, August 8, 2011

Strawberry Banana Muffins~ A Sweet Punch

I'm chuffed at the way my muffins turned out, especially because I were to make them over the weekend and my timings just didn't quite work out for me, and to top it all I was out of sorts - we all have those days don't we?!
I started my day this morning all set to bake my muffins in the morning and I realized I don't have the strawberries. My mind didn't seem to work out at all on an apt substitute. So I just got dressed, and headed out to the store, to see and then weigh out my options. Just when I thought there was no hope, I silently prayed, "Lord help me choose the best fruit", lo! and behold a box of strawberries tucked away in the fruits section just awaiting it to be picked. I checked and rechecked and double checked and my joy had no bounds at what I got. I ran to the cash counter, beaming as if clutching a pot of gold. Rushed home and got to baking pronto, and I present you 'My scrum-my yummy muffins'.



Recipe adaped from the Joy of Baking

Ingredients:
1/2 cup - unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon - pure vanilla extract
2 large ripe bananas, mashed to about 1 cup
1 cup (240 ml) fresh strawberries, cut into bite sized pieces
2 1/4 cups - All purpose flour
3/4 cup - light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons - baking powder
1/4 teaspoon - baking soda
1 teaspoon - ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon - salt


Preheat oven to 170C. Place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or lightly butter or spray the muffin cups with a vegetable spray.
In a small saucepan melt the butter. Let cool to room temperature. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract and mashed banana. Add the melted butter and stir to combine. In another large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Gently fold in the berries, making sure they are coated with flour. (This helps to prevent the berries from sinking during baking.) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are just combined. Do not over mix the batter or tough muffins will result. Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake until a tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.



3 comments:

  1. Most of the people would have stayed at home and done it with substitutes, but not you. It seems you are not the one to settle for any substitute.

    I appreciate that!

    Lovely muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ally
    Loved the colour of those beautiful muffins..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time in my space. Would love to hear your reviews and comments!

Love,
Ally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...