Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Date Spice Cake



Its the weekend and I have to stock my house with 'something'. Found this recipe from a book my mum gave me when I got married, thinking I'd riot my new household with dishes no one has ever savored. Well this was one recipe for a cake, baked it for the first time and it was an instant hit. My cousins, friend and her fiance had their luck in tasting my culinary creation for the day. Thank you all for at least leaving the crumbs for my husband! And most of all thank you Amma!!



Ingredients:
Flour - 1 1/2 cups
Baking powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Soda Bicarbonate - 1/4tsp
Nutmeg powder - 1 tsp
Castor Sugar - 1 cup
Butter - 1/2 cup (at room temperature)
Salt -1/4 tsp
Egg - 1
Sultanas - 1 cup
Cashew nuts - 1 cup (broken)
Dates - 1 cup (minced)
Boiling water - 1 cup

Pour the boiling water over the minced dates and keep it aside till cool. Sift the flour, baking powder, soda bicarbonate and the nutmeg powder together. Cream together the butter sugar adding the whisked egg little by little. Put 1/3rd of the flour and dates and mix well each time. Fold in the nuts and sultanas carefully mixing them. Bake in a greased tin at 325 F/ 170 C for 40 minutes. For those using the microwave to bake, 180 C at 45 minutes should be just fine. You would want to check in on your cake at the end of 40 minutes with a skewer/ toothpick. Once the cake is out of the oven and slightly cool, sprinkle some powdered sugar over the cake and rub it all over.

1 comment:

  1. This has become an instant hit vt my family n friends.
    Thanks for sharing,Ally.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time in my space. Would love to hear your reviews and comments!

Love,
Ally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...